If you take your sustainability-minded brand out in public, to an in-person event where people engage with your brand face-to-face, how do you go about it? Are you selective about where your brand is seen? What kind of venues do you choose?
There are right and wrong answers to these questions.
Making the right venue choice comes down to living out and protecting your brand. Out of that fundamental position comes the rest:
1. Find a venue whose sustainability standards are equal to your own.
2. Confirm that they have at least one form of recognized event-sustainability , such as adopted ISO 20121— a sustainable event management system, certified to ASTM Environmentally Sustainable Meeting Standards, or issued a CSR report following the framework of the GRI Event Organizers Sector Supplement.
3. Get third-party verification of their claims.
The last point is the most important, because it is the only assurance you have that your brand is protected from keeping the wrong company, which taints brand reputation and, ultimately, brand trust.
Fortunately, third-party verification is readily available. BPA Worldwide has a certification program, called iCompli, to help you choose the right venue and other suppliers.
In short, iCompli for events involves three steps:
1. Certification: independent assessment and review of sustainability practices, certification to relevant international standard (ISO or ASTM)
2. Training: courses designed to help event professionals incorporate sustainability practices and improve the performance of their events
3. Assessment: gap analysis of your organization’s sustainability report compared to the GRI reporting guidelines and subsequent assurance of you report
Not only will iCompli help you ensure your brand doesn’t talk to strangers, you can use it for your own brand to help you find and fill in any gaps in your own sustainability promise.
For more information on iCompli, visit us here.